The Falkland Islands derive their name from Falkland Sound, the name given to the waterway between the two main islands by Captain John Strong, who, in his ship Welfare, spent several days in the Islands in 1690. Falkland Sound was itself named after Viscount Falkland, one of the owners of Welfare. The Falkland Islands are an archipelago consisting of two main Islands (East and West Falkland) and 778 smaller islands, with a total land area of approximately 4,700 sq. m. (12,173 sq. km), roughly the size of Connecticut in the USA or just over half the size of Wales in the UK.
Our Capital, Stanley, is home to over three quarters of our population. Everything outside of Stanley is known locally as “Camp”, and is home to numerous farms and settlements spread across the archipelago.