Registry Services

Civil Partnership

Governor's Special Licence

Regulation 10 of the Registration of Civil Partnerships Regulations 2017 provides for parties to an intended civil partnership to make application to the Governor of the Falkland Islands for a Special Licence to register.

A Special Licence is different to the Registrar General’s 3 Months Licence in two distinct ways:

1) There is no requirement for the application to be displayed for 21 days before the Licence is granted; and

2) There is no requirement for either, or both, parties to the civil partnership to have been resident in the Falkland Islands for a period of at least 7 days prior to the application being made.

An application for a Governor’s Special Licence is made by way of a Statutory Declaration, by one of the intended parties to the civil partnership, which must contain the following information:

A) a statement of the full name of the applicant and of the other party to the intended civil partnership ("the other party") and of any other name by which either of them has ever been known;

B) the addresses at which the applicant and the other party respectively ordinarily reside (which need not be within the Falkland Islands) and if either of them has been resident at the address so stated in respect of him or her less than three months, any other address at which he or she has ordinarily resided within that period of three months;

C) the date, place and country of birth of the applicant and of the other party;

D) a statement either-

i) that there is no affinal relationship (relationship by blood or by virtue of marriage or adoption) between the applicant and the other party; or

ii) a statement of any such relationship that exists between the applicant and the other party;

E) particulars of any previous marriage or civil partnership of either of the parties and the manner in which the previous marriage or civil partnership came to an end.

A statutory declaration must be made before a commissioner for oaths or a notary public and then submitted to the Registrar General. Please also include with your application in respect of both of you:

* Proof of residence (i.e. a utility bill)

* Proof of identification (i.e. certified true copy of your passport)

* Certified true copies of any documentation regarding changes of names, previous marriages or civil partnerships or any other information which has been included in your application.

Once a Governor’s Special Licence is granted, it is valid for a period of 3 months from the date of issue.

A civil partnership by authority of a special licence shall be registered by a Registrar or a person in the sight and hearing of a Registrar and may be registered on any day of the week and at any time of day.


If you have any queries please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call (+500) 27271