The Falkland Islands Civil Aviation Department, in collaboration with ASSI, promotes the safety of aviation in the Falkland Islands and, where designated by H. E. the Governor of the Territory, FICAD regulates aviation safety.
The Civil Aviation Department will implement regulatory strategies and processes aimed at ensuring the parts of civil aviation it regulates achieve the highest practicable level of safety.
To this end, in cooperation with ASSI, FICAD will work towards:
1) fostering safety reporting and promoting just culture;
2) encouraging safety information collection and exchange amongst all relevant industry organisations and service providers, including the MoD, with the intent that such information is to be used for safety management improvement purposes only;
3) collaborating and consulting with relevant aviation stakeholders to address safety and regulatory matters to enhance aviation safety;
4) allocating sufficient financial and human resources for safety management oversight;
5) equipping FICAD staff with the skills and expertise to discharge their safety oversight responsibilities.
Specifically, where FICAD is designated by the Governor to regulate, FICAD will work towards:
6) identifying safety trends within the aviation industry and adopting a risk-based approach to address areas of greater safety concern or need;
7) the development of safety performance indicators as well as service providers’ safety performance indicators to continuously monitor and measure the safety performance of our aviation system;
8) promoting good safety practices and positive safety culture within the service providers based on sound safety management principles.